When I gutted the cabin, I decided I’d just replace the two vintage interior lights. After searching online, I found only one company that still sold them. Actually, they had them for sale on their website – but didn’t carry them anymore.

So, I carefully disassembled the existing lights using a razor knife to separate the trim ring so I could get the rusted reflector out. I used naval jelly to remove the rust and sprayed the reflector with some chrome Rustoleum. I then snipped the wires and soldered in a new LED and glued it back together. Better than new – almost.

UPDATE 1/22/2020: It turns out that the output of these lights are too dim now that they’re in the boat. I will leave them as they are, but I’ve ordered a couple of collapsible Luci solar lights to use instead. One for an anchor light and one for in the cabin. I don’t plan on having a battery onboard. If I do any overnight sailing, I will use a portable jump start power pack to power the three LED navigation lights.

Scroll Up