Having finished with the four coats of primer, I turned my attention to replacing the halyards. My first attempt in ordering the correct size line was a bust. I never could find any specific documentation for the Harpoon 6.2 so I measured the old stuff and placed an order with Defender for some Sampson Ropes, 3/8 in. (10 mm), double-braided rope in four different tracer colors (green = main to starboard aft, red = head to port aft, yellow = topping to starboard fwd. and blue = spinnaker to port fwd.). I couldn’t justify the cost of pre-assembled halyards with new shackles, so I decided that I would learn how to eye splice the old, good condition, shackles onto the new halyards. Easy right? WRONG!

I had watched several different YouTube videos and found the cheapest plastic fids in a local hardware store so I thought I was ready. When the rope arrived, I attempted my first eye splice which turned out to be a total failure. The plastic fids were too fat and too short to use with the rope. I soon realized I needed the “real” thing. That’s also when I found out that 3/8 in. was too big to fit it on the pulleys in the mast! I took a chance and contacted Defender to see if I could return them. Their answer was well, maybe – YES!

I kept the one piece of red 3/8 in. rope that I had already practiced on and it now serves as new mainsheet. I ordered four new 5/16 in. (8 mm) ropes and a set of five stainless steel fids made by Selma. After many more videos and several attempts, I actually got it figured out. The best video I found was done by Marlow Ropes. There are many different ways to do a double-braid eye splice but they’re all basically the same.

I managed to bring the mast inside the garage to run the new halyards and reinstall the standing rigging. I also replaced the old stainless steel wire on the spreader ends and added two large rubber spreader boots. I have a 22 x 22 foot garage so it will just fit if it is put in diagonally. It was a cold and windy week finishing off with a day of snow yesterday!

I also reinstalled the hatch after I first needed to reseat two screws due to wood rot. The mast base was a little more difficult. The mahogany core had been wet for a long time under the base. I picked out all the rotten wood I could, let it dry out, then packed it full of the JB Weld Wood Restore Premium Epoxy Putty. I used the butyl tape to rebed both the hatch and mast base. All I need now is to leak test again.

I also scrubbed the old sails with the Iosso Mold & Mildew Stain Remover. They do look brighter, but the stains are still there. Looks like warmer weather is on the horizon so next up is two coats of black bottom paint.

Scroll Up