I’m slowly learning the ropes on how a Harpoon 6.2 sails solo. Everything needs to be prepped before leaving the dock. For now, I’m using the original sails that I repaired. The first time out, I rigged the Gerr downhaul on the headsail. It took quite awhile to thread the line through the blocks so it wouldn’t foul. The only issue I see with it is where the line passes through the clew grommet. It was pretty tight.

The next time out, I put up the main and jib. All was going great until I let the jib fly over itself and the Gerr downhaul blocks prevented it to clear. When I tried to lower the jib it jammed. I had to tie off the tiller and move to the bow very quickly to get it down.

I also figured out what to do about the boom vang clearing the dodger. The boom also interfered with the dodger so apparently it has to be dropped underway. Collapsing the dodger isn’t hard to do, but it’s a shame it can’t be used when sailing.

The first rain we had, I left the bailers closed while in the slip. There must have been two inches of water in the cockpit. Once I opened the bailers, the water drained to where it was just at the top of the bailer wells. So, with the bailers open the water seems to equalize with the waterline. Underway once you get enough speed, you can actually hear the water getting sucked out! The sales brochure is right – you can leave the bailers open in the slip.

I think I may also have my docklines figured out. The boat points toward the prevailing southwest wind in the slip. I have two lines. The first is looped on both ends and tied fast in the middle to the anchor eye inside the bow. These are thrown over the two posts on the pier. The second line is also looped on both ends and it has a heavy stainless carabiner tied in the middle. These are looped over the the pier posts and the carabiner in snapped onto the eye in front of the bow. This one comes off last and stays on the pier. For the aft lines, there are a cleat on both sides. The loops are thrown over the stern poles. These lines are longer enough to allow getting on at the bow but short enough to keep the bow off the pier. I’m not sure what Boston Whaler had in mind for tying up and hanging fenders because there aren’t enough cleats on the boat.

I quickly realized how slippery all of my freshly varnished mahogany is with wet feet. My only access to the boat from the pier is over the pulpit. I found some rubber grey anti-skid tape with an adhesive backing. I really didn’t want to put it on the anchor locker cover but it had to be done for safety’s sake.

Lastly, I spent a night on the boat alone. I stacked the new cushions I had made to get more padding. All night long they kept sliding out from under me. The Sunbrella is too slippery on the painted plywood covers. I’m beginning to think that the original design that had the upholstery stapled to the plywood is the right way to go. I’m going to try some rug anti-skid sheet to see if that will make a difference.

Scroll Up