Mast & Boom

Mast & Boom

I made the mistake of using the mast to support the tarp last winter.The tarp did a fine job of polishing off the black anodizing where the tarp was whipping against it.

There were already many nicks and scratches from almost 40 years so it really didn’t matter in the big picture. The boom was in the same condition but did need one rivet replaced.

I decided to sand everything, tape all the stainless and spray bomb the mast, boom and spreaders with a flat black epoxy airplane propeller paint! I squeezed as much of the mast I could into my small two-car garage so it would be out of the wind, donned my respirator and emptied two cans in one afternoon. After reading all the warnings on the can, I nearly decided not to do it. We’ll see how it holds up next season.

I’m also replacing all of the running rigging. If I can locate new shackles at a reasonable price, I will put them on. I will also be learning how to splice. Since I have no documentation for what diameter the four halyards are, my best guess is that they are 3/8 inch. Specs on a 5.2 says they’re 5/16. I looking into samsonrope.com and Defender seems to have the best price on their XLS3.

Outboard Leaking?

Outboard Leaking?

I noticed the other day that it looked like oil was dripping from the bottom of the outboard onto the fins above the prop. I opened the top cover to investigate further and discovered that one of the capacitor is leaking! Is this a real thing? It sat all winter in the garage and was last started almost a year ago.

Subscribe Now!

Subscribe Now!

I just added a new feature to the website. It’s a push notification that a new post has been published.

If you would like to receive a notification , please click “ALLOW” on the new pop-up and sign up today. Once you do, there will be another default Windows pop-up to confirm.

If at anytime you would like to unsubscribe, just click on the little red bell in the bottom left corner of your screen and click on the “UNSUBSCRIBE” button.

Wood Repair

Wood Repair

There are a few pieces of mahogany that need some extra attention. When I purchased the boat, the cockpit benches were removed and all the screws needed to attach are missing (60 total!). The port side also had a bench slat that had been pulled free from the bottom brace. The slat has actually been ripped away pulling the screws through the bottom and breaking out the mahogany. Since the damage is on the bottom side, I thought I would give J-B Weld Wood Restore Premium Epoxy Putty a try. Looks simple enough. I plan to use their Wood Restore to harden up the area before applying the putty. There’s also a small crack starting in the cockpit cooler cover that I plan to fix.

I also picked up some 3M 90 High Strength Contact Adhesive. The laminate is separating on both the starboard and port bulkheads, and the stove shield in the cabin. The white laminate on the tables also look they may need some help.

 

Scroll Up